How to deal with change requirements in Production environment
Other Learning Articles that you may like to read
Free Courses We Offer
Paid Training Courses we Offer
What is Change management?
The purpose of the Change Management process is to ensure that:
- Standardised methods and procedures are used for efficient and prompt handling of all changes
- All changes to service assets and configuration items are recorded in the Configuration Management System (CMS)
Description of Sample Change requirement
Let us assume, you are a system administrator in financial firm. And you have received a request to add 100GB additional disk space to one of the existing Oracle Database server. And this requirement is for future expansion of database and not an emergency requirement.
How to deal with this change requirement ?
Step1 : Initial investigation about change requirements
Verification 1 : Do we have Additional disk space already available on the server?
If not , do we need to add an additional disk to the server? is that san disk or local disks?
Required Verification if we need to attach a local hard disk:
- Do we need to we need to shutdown the system to attache the new disk or is that hot plug
- If we need to shutdown the server how much downtime we need to attach the server
- Do we have additional disks available in the data center
- Do we need to contact Server Vendor for the new disk and to attach it to the server
Required Verification for San disk attachment
- Send a mail to storage team explaining about the requirement of new storage
- Get confirmation from the storage team about storage allocation.
- For storage requests they can allocate the storage to the server much before the actual change, and we can reconfigure our linux system to recognize newly added disks online, during the change window
Step 2: Make Sure similar kind of Change requirement is already Implemented and tested in a Development and Test Environment.
Step3: Creating a Change Request
Once we have all the details about storage requirements and identified the requirements create a Change Request with the following details:
- Change Description
- Change Impact on Production Environment: impacting change ( shutdown of Server and Database Reuired) or non-impacting change ( no shut down required)
- Maintenance Windows
- Individual Sub Tasks to complete the change
Create separate tasks for each team:
- task1 : Datacenter team /Storage team to allocate the new storage to the server
- task2 : Unix team to identify the storage and configure it as per the requirement
- task3 : DBA team to stop the Database before shutting down the server and start it back after finishing the change
5. Complete change procedure document :
6. Roll back Procedure incase if the change fails by some reason
Step 4. Get Approval for Change Request
- Unix Manager Approval for the change
- DBA team approval for the change
- Storage Team approval
- Unix Implementor approval
Step 5. Change Implementation
- Inform the monitoring team about the change, so that they can ignore if there are any alerts during the change.Otherwise they will create an incident for every alert they get.
- Inform all the stakeholders that you are initiating the change in email
- Ask Storage team to allocate new storage to the disk as per their change task
- Ask the DBA team to shutdown DAtabase on the server
- Start the implementation of change, as per the change procedure document
- Finish the change, and send a mail to DBA team to start the DBA and verify it
- Once all good, reply to your first mail saying that Change has been completed successfully.
- Incase if the change is failed and if you experienced some issues during the change you need to rollback the change using your rollback procedure, and inform all the stakeholders in the email about change rollback.
Step 6. Closing a Change Request
- Once all work finished, Ask all the teams to close the tasks assigned to their team. And you have to close you own task fro unix team.
- Finally close the change ticket.
Finally, Inform to User and ask them to verify that their Change requirement is fulfilled