Solaris Solstice DiskSuite: recover a metadevice that is in an unstable state OR how to recreate metadevice without losing data

1. Ian says:

This article was very useful but I wonder if you could confirm something for me.

I will need to replace an FC controller in one of our servers soon. This FC connects the host to our SAN.
    We have several soft partitions on the SAN disk presented through this controller. These soft partitions look like this:

d152 -p c6t0d0s0 -o 73448517 -b 62914560 -o 1942969449 -b 41943040

d153 -p c6t0d0s0 -o 157334599 -b 56623104

I presume that first I need to carefully record the metastat -p output. Then, once the new FC card is fitted the c#t#d# for these metadevices will change, so I will need to delete and recreate these devices using metaclear and metainit to reflect the new device path to the disk.

Is that correct, or have I missed something ?

A reply to mail address would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

• admin says:

Hello Ian, my understanding is replacing the FC card doesn’t change controller numbers unless you are changing slot/card model.

But for the safe side you can keep the following outputs handy before go for maintenance 1. echo|format 2. metstat 3. metastat -p.

Just incase if the ctrl numbers change , yes, you need to recreate them with same offsets/block numbers. But please make sure you have proper full backup before doing it, single mistake could destroy your entire data.

please feel free to mail me incase if you need further help.

Regards

• Ian says:

Hi Ramdev,

Many thanks for your reply.

I may have to replace the FC card due to driver compatability issues with our SAN. The FC card is a Qlogic QLA2342 (according to the OS). The driver version we are using is qla-5.04 (server is running Solaris 10 x86)

I needed to replace the qla driver with the Sun qlc driver as we have now found out the qla driver is not supported by our SAN for x86 Solaris (only SPARC). I thought I could simply replace the driver so I contacted Qlogic Support to confirm this was possible.

They said that if the card was a native Qlogic (as opposed to the Sun branded model of the card) then I could not install the qlc driver – it would not work.

They asked me to run a script that would report the serial number of the card. From that they would be able to identify if the card was native Qlogic or Sun branded.

I sent them the script output and they then told me the serial number did not appear in their database !!

So now I’m a bit stuck. I have a card in a machine that I cannot fully identify, therefore don’t know whther I can simply replace the qla driver with qlc. Unfortunately the machine is heavily used and is located over 100 miles away so I cannot easily check.

Looking on the web lots of people say the qlc driver will work fine, even if the card IS a native Qlogic, so right now now I don’t know what, or who, to believe !!

Thanks,

Ian.

• admin says:

@Ian, I understand the situation.. Just wondering if Oracle could help you to identify the exact card details if you could upload the explorer output. And if you want to try little bit more , you can just break the root mirror ( if you have SVM in place) and install the new driver verify the SAN connectivity, and incase of issues Just boot back from second disk and recreate your mirror. And later you can go for card replacement.

2. sluge says:

Hello!
    Is any way to restore ZFS pool when WWN of the disks were changed?

3. Sukhbir says:

Do we have any changce to put old VTOC using the new disk name??

1. September 16, 2015