SSH Tunnels – System administrator’s friend or foe?

1. Lubomir Jacisko says:

Great Article.

2. Viktor says:

what is the use of forwarding the tcp port 22, if he could jump off server1 to server2? Better show it with e.g. tcp 80 where an apache is running on server 2. That would make more sense. Otherwise, thanks for the article, can come handy if somebody don’t know about tunnelling.

V.

You are right Victor, using different target port ( other than 22 ) would have made this example more appropriate. Thanks for dropping the comment.

3. teja ambathi says:

I’m Teja Ambathi,wants to join the gurkulindia.com……..i have subscribed for mail alerts and so………..however,I’m unable to read the data,I’m getting a new window to subscribe everytime i try to read any data…please let me know the way to access

Hi teja, You can browse the various section from the top menu ( I.e beginners , intermediate, advanced ). The images in the top are actually links to subscription page

4. Jeff says:

ssh tunnels are sys admin’s friend but network admin’s nightmare :)

i agree :)

6. dsanger says:

Yes, yes a fine example of something that’s technically possible, but socially may lead to problems. In the US anyway, unauthorized tunnelling can get you fired! Check first with your security group or AUP for your organization.

hi dsanger, yeah. this is only to use wherever legally allowed  to use:)

8. Erlis says: