RHEL5/6 Interview Questions : Web Services
1. What port does the Apache web server run on? What about HTTPS?
1a. Apache uses port 80 for HTTP and port 443 for HTTPS.
2. Are additional packages besides httpd required for a secure website? If so, what are they?
2a. Yes. For Apache to run a secure site, the mod_ssl package is required to be installed.
3. What command can you use to create a password-protected page?
3a. The htpasswd command can be used to password-protect a web page.
4. What happens if you call the command from question 3 with the –c option after it has already been run?
4a. The file that stores usernames and their encrypted passwords is erased and replaced with a new file.
5. What command can you use to validate the syntax of the Apache config file?
5a. service httpd configtest
6. What is a virtual host?
6a. A virtual host is a way of hosting multiple sites using a single IP address.
7. How can virtual hosts be used?
7a. If you are a hosting company or want to run multiple websites/applications from a single IP address, you can use virtual hosts to accomplish this.
8. How can you change the security context of a directory to work with Apache?
8a. Using the chcon command, you can change the context of a file to work with Apache.
9. What benefit does a web proxy provide to your network?
9a. A web proxy can provide multiple benefits, including security, web page caching for faster load times, and load balancing.
10. What is the default port that Squid runs on?
10a. By default, Squid runs on port 3128.