Solaris Troubleshooting : Memory usage checking and troubleshooting

1. seema says:

Hello Ramdev I have swap issues application are running java
    # Reduce memory load on the system
    # Increase physical memory or swap space
    # Check if swap backing store is full i have run swap -l swap -s checked df -k /tmp but how will i know or say apps team this is reason … when i run prstat or vmstat how can i explain from output to apps team or how can i support …

prstat -a will give the apps consuming high cpu and mem.

3. seema says:

thanks @ yogesh ….. Can you provide me link or oracle recommended doc for LDOM creation i have T5220 … i have done my research but when i look into come documents they give me commands … i would like to know how physical resources are partition for logical domain …. while on my reasrch any issue will update ..

@Seema, I configured Ldoms 3 years back. Since then till now I havent got a chance again to play with Ldoms. But let me check if I have a config. doc with me. Else I will try my level best to search and provide you with the same.

5. Michael says:

good one

6. Michael says:

ps -e -o vsz=MEMSIZE -o args=COMMAND

@Micheal – this is a good command, and i would like you to explain the purpose of this command on your own words, to our other folks.

7. Andy says:

I read your steps and, found it useful. Some of the commands you provided do not mention what to look for and, what do they mean. For example “ipcs -a”. can you explain in plain english what it is showing (I know it is shared memory. how can I use it to my advantage).

Hi Andy, What I look there normally is SEGSZ  ( i.e. shared segment size ) and the owner and group of the segment.

9. sameer says:

I found good information here. My issue is resolved. Thanks for sharing this information.

10. Brad says:

Thanks for above info. Is there a quicker way to get the total/cumulative private physical memory used by processes? I see such a number can be figured out by a combination of above commands, but ones like pmap -x /proc/* and mdb -k take a long time to complete.

HI Brad, sorry … I couldn’t think of any other quickest way of doing this.

12. swamy says:

swap -l showing
    swapfile dev swaplo blocks free
    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 32,25 16 1946032 1946032

here free means
    is it 1946032 this much is free ?
    i didn’t under stood

Swamy, Yes. that actually indicates your system not yet using the swap file system.

14. Madhukiran Attivilli says:

which command, when run from local zone, provides physical memory of the system, as seen from global zone?

• Madhukiran Attivilli says:

In other words, how to determine whether a local zone has capped-memory configured, by running a command or application program from local zone itself, and not from global zone?

1. September 16, 2015