VxVM Learning – Resize veritas volume without using vxresize

1. vignsh says:

Hi gurukul frendz, pls post vxvm plex related issues and troubleshooting scenario.

Hi Vignsh, We will work on your request and come up with the plex realated posted soon.

Hi Vignesh,

Please go through the below posts, and you can search the site with “vxvM” to find more related posts.

http://gurkulindia.com/main/2011/04/vxvm-veritas-plex-state-transition/ http://gurkulindia.com/main/2011/05/vxvm-recovering-an-unstartable-volume-with-a-disabled/

4. Sateesh says:

it is good one.

5. Saurabh says:

What is the difference between vxresize and vxassist ?

@Saurabh — vxassist with growby/growto + fsadm ( for filesystem expansion) = vxresize

@Saurabh, In simple terms one can say.. vxassist is only use to craete/increase “Volumes” only (best example is in case of creation/increase of RAW devices for databases) here no effects will be noticed in the output of df -h as only volume is increased. On the other hand vxresize is a combination of vxassist (increase of volume) + fsadm (expansion of Filesystem) as mentioned by Ram. But vxresize is not used in the volume creation it will only support expansion/compression.

8. Saurabh says:

Thanks Ram and Yogesh. I got this now. :)

@Saurabh, you are most welcome:)

10. Anuj says:

Could you provide a good example for growto & growby and shrinkto & shrinkby ?

hi anuj , do you mean example with syntax or the concept?

12. Anuj says:

Yes Ram….just a clear cut explanation….
    I am also looking for VxVM in Linux… like Booting process, Root disk failed and system not booting up …etc…

13. Anuj says:

In Solaris… entries will be added to /etc/system and for Linux where does it sit ?

@Anuj, for Linux you have /etc/sysctl.conf which act as a system file. The main difference in Solaris (/etc/system) and Linux (/etc/sysctl.conf) is that the systcl.conf file can be re-read by Linux kernel while the system is up by sysctl -p command whereas if you will ammend any new entry in /etc/system you need to reboot the box to re-read the parameters for Solaris Kernel.

15. Anuj says:

Thxs Yogesh…
    Does the Veritas entries will be under /etc/sysctl.conf or /etc/grub.conf or some other files?

anuj – veritas changes will go to /etc/sysctl.conf. Grub.conf only used when you have to change boot related kernel options.

@Anuj, always remember /etc/system (Solaris) –> /etc/sysctl.conf (Linux)

18. anuj says:

growto & growby and shrinkto & shrinkby diffrences ?

19. akshay says:

Hi, I am looking 4 job change. I upload my resume on job portals. i just learned the veritas volume manager. but i never faced interview regarding VXVM. I dont know wht kind of que. ask in intrview about VXVM.
    can u pls me to sloved this issue. I just want 2 know what kind of que may be aksed in interview.
    Thanks in advance…

Hi Akshay,

the interview purely depends on kind of environment. Below are some of the basic concepts that you should be aware of:

– VxVM deamons and purpose.
      – how to initialize disks ( local/san) in veritas
      – how to perform disk maintenance for failed volumes from mirrored volumes ( both root and non-root)
      – how to create log files
      – how to move veritas volumes from one host to another host
      – how to perform online extension/resize for mirror volumes and raid5 volumes
      – how to configure veritas disks with using veritas disk multipath ( DMP)

20. raj says: