Solaris patching for new learners.

1. Mark says:

Jußt a note for those not aware, patching is depreciated in Solaris 11 with the Linux like IPS where the concept of applying patches does not exist. I believe that the pkg* commands are still available for legacy third party applications.

Hi Mark, Thanks very much for sharing this info

@Mark, thanks yes you are absolutely right SRV4 concept is replaced with IPS in solaris 11 and repository like system is introduced. All pkgadd/pkgrm/pgkchk etc commands are also replaced with new one. Let us see how much time will it take to come to the production with full fludge…

4. Raj (Help Needed) says:

I have installed Fedora on my desktop (at home) and configured an IP address too. I have connected the Fedora box to my laptop having XP using a straight LAN cable. I can ping successfully each other. But I can not do a telnet or ftp to Fedora box from the laptop and it says “Temporary failure in name resolution:”. FTP daemon is running.

Could you please let me the probable issue? Should I use a cross LAN cable or am I doing the right thing?

Thanks

@Raj, possibly you may be using hostnames. Try the same using IP’s.

6. Raj says:

@Yogesh : In fact, I used the IP address of the Fedora box :) but failed.

Hi Raj, to connect two systems directly you need crossover cable. Straight cable wont work. I am still doubt about the ping part…can you show us the ping command and it’s output?

8. raj says:

@Ramdev: Thanks for your time :)
    I’ll try the same with a cross cable.
    -Raj

9. kimkhoo says:

Hi, can you provide me some guidelines on how to patch OS with Symantec VCS running on it. thanks.

hi kimkhoo, Guidelines to perform patching VCS cluster. I am assuming you are using SVM for root disk mirror.

1. Offline Patching :

>> Stop VCS , Disable VCS startup SCripts, Split mirror and test booting with second one.
    >> patch the kernel either from multiuser more or maintenance mode as per the patch’s readme instructions
    >> bring up both the servers, and start the VCS manually and test the resource Groups.
    >> if all looks good then enable startup scripts ( and optionally you can do one more sanity reboot to check the cluster is starting without trouble)
    >>> finally reattach the mirrors

2. Online patching ( little risky ):

>> move the service groups to one node and stop the VCS on the second node.
    >> Prepare the Second node for patching – disbale the VCS startup script , Split root mirror , test that second disk booting properly.
    >> patch the server and test with rebooting. and startup the cluster and see you are able to switchover the service groups to the patced machine, one by one without trouble.
    >>> once all moved to second node enable the VCS startup script, then stop the VCS on first node. And patch the first node similar to above steps.
    >> once patching done and server rebooted, balance the service groups as per the initial setup.
    >>> if all looks good, then attach the mirrors.

11. Sandeep Kumar says:

Hi Ramdev,
    Your contents are excellent and whenever i read your posts and article, i feel good.
    I feel one more thing you should add with this site(Job related news especially for UNIX).
    After that their will be no requirement to open any other website.
    Your portal is always open in my machine.
    Keep it up.

-Sandeep

Sandeep, it is always good feeling when someone says they love this site. Thanks for your comment and suggestion. We Will look into all the possibilities to make this site better and better .

12. Dinesh says:

Keep up the good work gurukul team. Your contents are like quick refresher if the topic is known and if the topic is unknown, it is simple to understan and learn.

13. sukhpreet says:

hi ramdev,

i need some info..
    how to get the below details from solaris box..

OS
    Memory (In GB)
    Number of CPU’s and Frequency in GHz
    Disk Space (In GB)

kindly let me know the commands to fetch these details..
    there is a solaris 11 box.

1. September 18, 2015