Linux LVM : Cleaning UP stale storage Devices from LVM, after Storage Reclaim

@Ram, very nice post, I have faced the same issue and the fix was same as posted by you. I faced it for SuSe Linux,

2. Karthik says:

Thanks a lot for the article.

Some LVM modules related question was lingering in my mind and want to post it here.

Having a question related to LVM and increasing the size of storage volumes.
    To simplify how to make LVM modules dynamically get the increased storage size so that we can increase the storage volumes on the fly.

The scenario is:

Underlying Storage devices are EMC devices and using Powerpath software.

Storage Team extended a volume say /u01 by 50 G (ie old vol – 50 G and now new vol is 100 G).

In this case as usual rescanning the LUNs was done on the server and then tried pvresize /dev/emcpowera to get the new PV size and its fine showing as 100 G.

vgdisplay is fine and showing as 100 G but the problem is lvextend -L +50G /dev/vg1/u01 is giving error like this:

Extending logical volume u01 to 100.00 GB
    device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
    Failed to suspend u01

Note: Also unmounted /u01 and tried lvextend and result is same and no luck.

Not sure why lvm modules are not able to get the new size.

And it required a reboot to fix but is there any way to do it online and want to avoid reboot?

Thanks
    Karthik

3. Karthik says:

Missed this earlier:

using devicemapper-lvm module and not sure whether we can tweak anything using dmsetup.

Thanks
    Karthik

@Karthik – after unmounting the filesystem try ” vgchange -a n volume-group” to completely restrict Vg access to the kernel. And then try the lvextend.

If it is still not resolved, then please register into unixbook and post your problem along with pvdisplay and lvdisplay output. and also let us know the lvm version there. we will try to answer it there, so that it will be useful for other people for easy future reference.

5. Karthik says:

Thanks for your help on this Ramdev !!!

I will check this and post it when this type of extension request comes to my team.

Will register myself for Unixbook.

@Karthik, Thanks for registering to Unix Book. Please post your questions and learnings to unix book. We really appreciate User contribution.

7. Kiran M.S says:

Hi Anna,

Can we have a document for changing normal boot to SAN boot in SOL and Linux ?

Hey kiran, you mean for which hardware? san boot wont support for every hardware. What is your requirement

9. Santanu Roy says:

It is useful one.

1. September 17, 2015

[…] Read – Cleaning UP stale storage Devices from LVM, after Storage Reclaim […]

2. July 22, 2016