VCS Learning – I/O Fencing In action [ Video ]

1. sajeer rehman says:

Thanks Ram for posting a clear cut doc about I/O fencing.I found this really useful.

Sajeer, Thanks for the feedback.

3. Sahil says:

Thanks  Ram….Still i would like to understand troubleshooting of i/o fencing when keys got stuck in coordinator disk

@Sahil, I am still not done with i/o fencing. I am working on more simulations for the troubleshooting part,I will post them soon.

4. friv says:

Interesting article about i/o fencing. I am still a newbie in the programming and I need to learn a lot of stuff, so i will bookmark your page to come back here. Thanks a lot!

5. Srini says:

Ram, Its really interesting and useful topics. I have been going through your posts / videos and trying to build two node veritas cluster on linux. I have ESX5.0 highend server and created two VMs and installed Linux 5.8 but need some help on creating shared disk. do i need to take RDMs or vmdk disk and any specific setting for shared storage configuration for VMs. Appreciate your help.

Hi Srini, if you want to test complete cluster functionality I would recommend to go with openfiler for shared storage, because it gives you chance to explore the disk failure scenarios. Anyway, below are the steps ( extracted from old configuration guide) for your reference.

Perform the following steps to configureVCScluster within a single ESX host with all the virtual machines turned off:
      1 Perform the following steps first on one node of the VCS cluster:
      â–  On vSphere Client, select Edit Settings for the first virtual machine in the VCS cluster.
      â–  Click Add, select HardDisk, and click Next.
      â–  Select Create a new virtualdisk and then click Next.
      â–  Select a Datastore and click Next.
      â–  Select Newvirtualdevicenode [for example: SCSI (1:0)] and then click Next followed by Finish. Do not use SCSI 0.
      â–  After successfully adding the disk, open the VirtualMachine Properties
      and set the SCSI Bus Sharing to Virtual.
      2 Perform the following steps on each of the other nodes in the VCS cluster:
      â–  Select a virtual machine in the VCS cluster and select Edit Settings.
      â–  Click Add, select HardDisk and then click Next.
      â–  Select Use an existing virtualdisk and click Next.
      â–  Browse to the location of the disk configured for the first node in this procedure.
      â–  Select the same virtual device node [for example: SCSI (1:0)] set in the previous step for the first virtual machine and then click Next followed by Finish.
      â–  Set SCSIBusSharing to Virtual and click Ok.
      Note:You will not be able to power on all the virtual machines using the shared disk if SCSIBusSharing is not set to Virtual.

6. shiv says:

Hi ram

can you provide me the full step to configure the  vxfendDG disk group creation using the 3 shared disks steps

Hi Shiv, here is the information about vxfendg creation

initialize three disks with below syntax
      # vxdisksetup -i device_name format=cdsdis

create vxfeng with below syntax

# vxdg -o coordinator=on init vxfendg disk1
      # vxdg -g vxfendg adddisk disk2
      # vxdg -g vxfendg adddisk disk3

Once created deport the disk group

# vxdg deport vxfendg

import temporarily so that it will go down during reboot

# vxdg -t import vxfendg

7. Hi Ram,
    Thanks for sharing this article.
    Anyway is it possible to build 2node VCS setup with 1 openfiler storage on VMWARE 9 or VIRTUalbox ?

Please respond ..

8. Musab says:

Hi Ram,
    can u pl help in VCS on linux… :>

9. Musab says:

Ram im layman in VCS, i want to develop it on LINUX, can u help me or guide me to any of ur uploads which i can use to work on it
    Thanks

10. Umesh Kumar says:

Hi Ram,

I also have a two node cluster setup on Virtual Machine. And I am using openfiler for shared storage.
    Could you please let me know how we can create co-ordinator disks and set the SCSI 3 PR on these iscsi luns.

Thanks & Regards

Umesh Kumar

11. somasekhar says:

Hi Ram,
    I have configured two node cluster on solaris VM. And i have installed Openfiler for shared storage. I am unable to get the menu in webpage. Please help.

Thanks,
    Somasekhar.

12. chandru says:

Hi Ram, How to enable the heartbeat in VCS?

13. Bala says:

Nice Post…

14. kalyan says:

Hi ,
    i am using openfiler for shared storage to a 2 node cluster. How can i get fencing disk with scsi3-PR enable. Please guide ho to cretae scsi3-pr enable disks for i/o fencing

1. September 18, 2015