Solaris 10 : Enable / Disable telnet Service

1. Michael says:

Hi Ram

Good one

provided to this, telnet is controlled by inetadm via smf.the main purpose of the inetadm is to keep the services daemons running only when they are needed so that the resource is utilized efficiently so if you even enable the telnet service using svcadm utility ,If you check ps -ef |grep -i telnet the telnet process will not be running provided until or unless there is an telnet request .

So one more tricky event is if the smf service of inet itself is disabled then even if you do an svcadm enable svc:/network/telnet and then check for the status it would remain offline .

2. seema says:

@ Michel Yes agree but this needs to be checked before for any service (or if creating new service ).

3. Michael says:

But this is not gona be the case if you issue svcadm -v enable -r telnet :-)

@Michael – Lets’ not confuse readers, the beauty of knowledge lives in making the technology simple :)

Just to all:

>>> about the intetd — it’s all different story…. and telnet is just one of the the service that was controlled by inetd.
      I tried to explain inetd in one of the linux article. http://wp.me/p1EO9J-109 and the first part is still relevant to solaris also.

>>about svcadm’s -r option …… -r option starts any SMF services recursivel , that means it will automatically online the dependency services mentioned in the configuration.
      if someone is curious about troubleshooting a network procedure which is not starting, please refer http://wp.me/p1EO9J-C6

@Ram, I agreed, -r is the option which will start SMF recursively along with its dependencies.

5. Michael says:

@Ram i meant to say that my first comment is not valid if you issue svcadm -v enable -r telnet

6. kishore vadali says:

once we disable the telnet using svcadm disable svc:/network/telnet:default,will it comeback after reboot? if yes,how to disable permanently

1. September 16, 2015