Solaris Network Troubleshooting Flow Chart – host from remote subnet not reachable

1. Jayson says:

good one ..

2. Sai Pamidigantam says:

Do think I am criticizing, but this above chart creates confusion.
    As I understand, A remote host is not reachable from your server/work station. Are we doing troubleshooting on remote host or local here ?
    If an user calls with the issue, first thing I ask is how the remote server is being accessed ? what protocol ? http, ssh, telnet, ftp or simply icmp ping
    Second, is there a firewall or proxy in between the servers ( a traceroute is better here – assuming all ethernet/IP )
    Assuming our workstation/server is okay ( and on network ), the troubleshooting has to start on remote server. The assumption here is, we have to have access to the console of that server. The above chart shows debug on our ( local/source) server.
    Few more comments later after I streamline my thoughts

3. Sai Pamidigantam says:

Please read…”Do not think” from my previous post

@Sai, thanks for your comment.
    Firstly,I totally agree with your comment that the complete communication flowchart will depends upon the utility which we are using to login into the server. However the flowchart shown here is “Generic” one and is applicable for any OS flavours in order to identify any issues from OS side if your server is un-responsive/not reachable/not pinging.
    Secondly Yes the post is based on remote host. Though the steps will be applicable to both local/remote hosts as the troubleshooting sequence will be same in either case but the network complexibilty will be more in case of remote hosts.
    Third, Firewall/proxy/network troubleshooting will come under 2nd & 3rd level as shown in the flow chart where devices have been checked and depending upon the situation necessary steps will be taken at Firewall/proxy/network/security level.
    Fourth, proceeding further yes console access would be required to proceed with the troubleshooting from OS side else one would have to connect our laptop to the serial port of the server physically to get to the server.
    Hope you have got the ans which you were expecting, thanks for your expert commnet on this.

5. Sai Pamidigantam says:

Great. Appreciate all your efforts in educating future SAs ( and SAs refreshing on their fundamentals too )

@Sai, thanks for your valuable boosters!!..

1. September 5, 2013