Working with Solaris Server Consoles using LOM/ ILOM/ ALOM/ ELOM/ RSC

1. Avatar Raj says:

Thank you Ram.

2. Avatar Kalyan says:

Thank you very much. very usefull. Please do share xscf commands for m- series servers

Hi Kalyan, we will look at this request.

4. Avatar sridahr says:

backup01-den is failed. Status code = 13 (file read failed) this isssue in on solaris server and the backups are failing please let me know how to resolve thei issue

@Sridhar – how are you taking this backup? And are you trying to take these backups over NFS filesystems. Can you please share more details in the Storage and backup session at unixbook at ( http://gurkulindia.com/unixforum/posting.php?mode=post&f=24 ) so that we can reply you back there.

6. Avatar Chetan says:

Hi Team,

i have 1 que how we got console? even server is panic? console ip is nothing but only one IP that we given to system…so how that IP work whn server is down…

7. Avatar ramdev says:

@chetan, Console ip is different than Ethernet ip ( server IP). normally Ethernet IP will be controlled by operating system level and it will be reachable only when OS available. where as console IP is something we configure to hardware level which will retain it’s information even though the operating system not available. hope this clarifies your question

8. Avatar Chetan says:

HI,

Many many thanks for good explanation,

that means console IP is server OBP level IP that some interval its communicate with server OS through kernal.

9. Avatar Yogesh Raheja says:

@Chetan, On hardware level there are diffrent ports for OS one is ethernet ports which you will see on normal interfaces (ifconfig output) and other is SP port (i.e console port) which you need to configure with dedicated IP to configure your console. That IP is not related to you OS ethernet IP and is not used elsewhere. As far as OBP is concerned dont get confused with OBP and IP. OBP is just a feature to control your system hardware so that the hardware supports OS and provide you the means to access some of the basic features of OS to troubleshoot the problems. Hope this will help you to understand OS and Console IPs.

10. Avatar chetan says:

thn how system is available after their OS is panic & from CONSOLE IP we are able go to OS. consolehistory cmd gives same o-p of the dmegs thn from whr it’s fetch that o-p

11. Avatar ramdev says:

@chetan – lets go back to basics. in the initial days there is no concept of console ip and only network ip used to exists. and whenever the system panics or system goes out of network, system admins used to go to the physical server and see what is appearing on the screen ( originally called console) which is directly connected to the server. As the technology evolved, experts found a way to access this concole screen remotely by using a special connector to server’s serial port and by accessing it. But connecting serial port has it’s own limitation , so at the next level server manufacturers thougt of providing a different connection point ( using seperate IP address) to access these server console remotely, and those are named with different names as mentioned in this article. And these console ports are actually a service to you to access the server monitor and keyboard remotely without you having visit to data center whenever the server go out of network. And that is the reason , from the console you can see everything that can be seen from the monitor connected to the server.

12. Avatar Ramesh Bandi says:

Hi Ram,

Can you provide all console commands. It will helpful to all of us.
    I did not XSCF> commands on our website. Kindly provide it… thanks

Hi Ramesh, I believe this will help you for XSCF http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19415-01/E25381/E25381.pdf

14. Avatar Darvesh Kumar says:

I am new for Unix/Solaris administration and i am searching for job and more knowledge about these.please help me regarding this.

@Darvesh, please join our linked-in ID where I will share the job listings, whenever i see them appearing.  sg.linkedin.com/in/gurkulindia

16. Avatar Arun says:

Arun joseph is my LinkedIn.
    I work unix support engineer for 5 plus years. If you have any openings for day shift or general shift requirement. Please inform me my phone is 9789089803

17. Avatar Chetantare says:

I have doubt in whats is CTD format of hdd , as all we know that c for controller, t for target, & d for disk
    but controller mean what, disk controller or motherboard controller. ? & how data tranfer from disk controller or motherboard controller.
    whats is target & whats is a USED ???????
    & i thinks d mean disk number but always this num is ZERO. always c & t number is changing.
    IF hdd fail & i want to replace the HDD thn how can i know which 1 is c1t0d0 & c1t1d0 HDD …. I khnow that from cfgadm cmd i can unconfigure that perticular hdd but I unable to boot my server & slo is replace faulty HDD thn…

I hope u slove my this promblem

Many Thanks.
    Chetan

Chetan, I would recommend this article for you http://gurkulindia.com/main/2011/07/the-one-thing-you-must-understand-for-better-system-administration-scsi/ . Once you read that article, if you still have the questions then please feel free to post me. I will clarify you.

19. Avatar prajwala says:

Hi Ram,

good post about Consoles…

20. Avatar Venkat says:

Jug Jug Jiyo …. Excellent Stuff at one place

21. Avatar arctos says:

Thanks for the very useful reference card. It’s a life-saver!

22. Avatar Raju says:

please give me the answer any one.
    how can i take new console i console has closed in solaris. please give me real time process and what are the approval we need to take

Hi raju, We all normally configure consoles when we first install the server in the data center, and there are different ways to do it depending on the server hardware model. And you need to help from two teams to get console access through network 1. network team ( they will provided the connections via network and will tell you which network IP and port you should access to connect to the console) 2. data center team ( they will connect the console connector to the server).

about the process:

1. if it is new machine you can directly request other teams for the required connections on mail / your company approved requested systems
      2. If it is production machine you need to create a change request to configure console, sometimes console configuration required that server to be down depending on the server model.

23. Avatar Costas says:

Well, it seems to read the whole article I have to join a black magic cult… The “continue reading” is not working…

24. Avatar waligi says:

very good info, is there an emulator out there i can try my hands on?

25. Avatar suresh says:

diffference between rsc,lom,alom and ilom sonsole

26. Avatar suresh says:

we are unable to connect the servers through ssh and ftp how to troubleshoot plz forward answer?

27. Avatar suresh says:

how to recover smf repository ?

28. Avatar suresh says:

if the server was down how to trouble shoot?

29. Avatar suresh says:

server was panic how to trouble shoot ?
    server was hang how to trouble shoot ? plz send the answers

30. Avatar suresh says:

what is the syatem ports and non syatem ports ?

31. Avatar suresh says:

what is the dif b/w pid and ppid ?

32. Avatar Prasad says:

How many ways we can connect to the server consoles and what is the tc port?
    How we can connect server console through GUI?

33. Avatar darvesh kumar says:

How to get console from ok prompt???? I have tried ~. & #. but in vain…Pls suggest something…

what is your console type, and how did you land in OK prompt ?

1. September 22, 2015

[…] Read – Working with Solaris Server Consoles using LOM/ ILOM/ ALOM/ ELOM/ RSC […]

2. October 6, 2015

What is in your mind, about this post ? Leave a Reply

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers